In my new school I found many sufferers.
Hidden behind every innocent smile, there are stories of suffering, pain and tragedy. Below are true accounts of my experiences.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Little Orphan

           The bell rang for the fourth period. The timetable shows "Grade 6". I continued my work until they came.
           They came and occupied their places as usual- I understood by the noises they made. but still there was a shadow near the door. I looked at the door without raising my head. A pair of little bare feet had located in the door way. My eyes traversed from feet to head. A new face!
"Are you a new comer?" I asked. The girl said nothing. The hesitation was written all over her little face.
" Are you in grade 6?" I stood up and asked.
" Yes madam, She's from our class. She was absent" A talkative student replied on behalf of her.
"Oh! that means you've added  3 more weeks to your holiday? What's your name?"
"................" She muttered something.
"Please talk louder" I went to her.
"Lakmini!" the representative shouted.
"See Lakmini, you've come in the middle of the lesson. How do you catch up previous lessons. This is a new subject for grade 6. What in the world were you doing these 3 weeks? Tell me, why were you absent?"
She kept silent.
"She had a funeral madam." again the representative.
"3 weeks! a week is more than enough for a funeral" I took her cold hand and fetched her to my table.
"Now Lakmini, tell me who passed away?" I sat on my chair and asked, taking her closer to me. A nasty smell emanated from her.
"No representatives please." I avoided the answers from the other students. I wanted to make her talk.
"Switch on your computers and continue your work" I said to the rest. Then I turned to the little rabbit expecting her answer. Her face hung down. drops of tears wetted the carpet.
"Ok dear take it easy. Everyone in the world dies someday." I stroked her dirty head.
"Is it your grand ma?" I tried to get the answer from her.
She shook her head and began to sob.
All my attempts to make her talk went in vain. Questioning grew her sadness. I left her alone and went to the 'representative' and found out it was her father that had died.
A little later, I went to her.
"Dear, I know its very sad, but what to do? There are so many fatherless people. I also lost my father. Be happy. You have your mother. Help her with her work. Come to school regularly. Study well. We'll help you. Don't cry!" I tried to console her, but she did not stop crying.
"Madam her mother had also died when she was a baby." the representative interjected.
I was shocked. Many questions popped up in my mind, but I did not ask. I thought of a remedy.
I guided all the students to play a game, joined Lakmini to a group. I could see that she was recovering little by little. There was a smile on her face.
"So Lakmini, was it interesting?" I asked at the end of the period
She smiled sweetly. She was fully recovered.
"Did you enjoy?"
"Yes, madam" her voice raised.
"Let's play another game tomorrow!"
She smiled. All the black clouds had blown away.
"Do you have any sisters or brothers?" I started questioning.
 "Yes madam, I have a brother. He's in grade 3" She has become talkative.
"With whom do you live?" I tried to come to the point.
"With our grandma. She loves us very much"
"How does she earn your living?" I asked.
"She goes house to house and does some work. they give money, food or clothes. Sometimes I go with her too." she replied.
Now I had to hang my face to hide my tears. The carpet was wetted by my drops of tears over her dried tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment